Sailing in the Virgin Islands on a chartered catamaran
(March 8 to March 18, 2008)
We had wondering what it would be like to sail a catamaran, so we've gone back to the Virgin Islands, and chartered one.
The following is the day-by-day itinerary of the trip: pictures are available at the italicized areas.
At most pages, you can scroll down to see more photos.
- March 8: Flew from Newark, NJ, to St. Thomas. Stayed at the Frenchman's Reef Marriott Resort and admired the view.
- March 9: Boarded the catamaran at the America Yacht Harbor in Red Hook on St. Thomas. Sailed over to Whistling Cay and picked up a mooring in Francis Bay on St. John's.
- March 10: Sailed into the BVI, to the Bight at Norman Island. One rain squall with 30-knot winds. No problem handling the cat.
- March 11: Light winds; lots of tacking. Finally turned on the diesels and made it to Manchioneel Bay on Cooper's Island.
- March 12: Sailed from Cooper's Island to North Sound on Virgin Gorda. Visited the Bitter End, and the hotel at Saba Rock. Listened to music at a wedding reception, and watched fireworks that somebody's daddy paid for...
- March 13: Downwind on one giant tack from North Sound to Cane Garden Bay on Tortola. Listened to Quito sing island songs and old favorites at his bar/restaurant, Quito's Gazebo.
- March 14: Over to Jost. More music, more shopping for t-shirts, more booze. Ate at Foxy's, and got our pictures taken with him.
- March 15: Motored to St. John's after a drippy, dreary, rainy, humid and worse, windless day. Only decent picture was a glorious sunset.
- March 16: The wind came up, but we motored over from St. John's to St. Thomas, left the cat, and took a taxi to the airport to pick up our rental Jeep. Looked around St. Thomas. Then back to the Marriott.
- March 17: St. Patrick's Day on St. Thomas. We saw the QM2, and visited the St. Thomas Synagogue.
- March 18: we flew home from St. Thomas to Newark. Collapse.Websites of places we visited:
Frenchman's Reef & Morning Star Marriott Beach Resort
Soggy Dollar Bar at Jost Van Dyke — the Painkiller was invented here!
St. Thomas Synagogue
|Return to Page One of Katz & Dawgs Unlimited|| |
. . . as of March 18, 2008